Thursday 26 September 2013

Honest Burgers - Special



Special Beef & black pudding, apple tempura, tarragon & caper mayonnaise £10.50 including rosemary chips

Gourmet/Dirty: Gourmet

It's been a little while coming, and I've finally made it to Honest Burgers. Highly rated by a mate of mine, I'd been meaning to get down to the original restaurant in Brixton Village - but I found myself in the Camden area in the mood for a burger so it seemed the right thing to do. I had every intention of trying their signature burger - the Honest Burger - but, at the risk of running before I could walk, I plumped for the special as it sounded too good to miss. Firstly the highs - the meat is awesome. Sourced from Ginger Pig it is cooked to perfection and the black pudding went together perfectly. The brioche bun is top notch with just the right squishiness but strong enough to hold the burger together. All the burgers here come with chips making them better value than a lot of burger joints - others should take note. Their rosemary salting is top as well. They packed so much flavour I didn't touch any sauces - a rarity. The apple & beetroot coleslaw is also worth a mention, as is the fact you can have any of the burgers in a gluten-free bap - big brownie points from the wheat-free crowd. There's just the one sticking point - I wasn't sure about the apple tempura. Call me traditional but apple goes with pork. And I didn't think it really worked here, but it far from ruined it. Overall a top burger then, with just the apple keeping it from greatness. Looking forward to getting the signature Honest Burger down the burger hole very soon...

Rating: 
Meat 3/3
Bun 2/2
Fillings 1/2
Package 2/2
Extra point? No
Overall 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment